Sunday, July 8, 2012

Day 27 -- Describe a truly spiritual moment in your life.

After such a dark time in my life, I looked in the mirror and was mortified. I knew I needed to change, but I was so far off course, I didn't know where to start. So I started the only place I knew how to...in the bible.

Beginning around May 2009, I took this time and read my bible, I read bible studies, and I read a book called "When Godly People Do Ungodly Things" by Beth Moore. This book changed my life. (If you are in a dark time, and don't know how to get back on track, this is the book for you, I can not say enough good things about this book). Slowly I began to change (and by slowly I mean months, possibly years), slowly my thinking started to align with God's thinking.

On January 1, 2010 I opened my bible and read 4 chapters in the book of John. Then on January 2, I read the next 4 chapters, and January 3rd, and 4th, etc. Before I knew it, it was February and I had read every single day in January, then March, then April. I promise you that reading my bible daily transformed my life. It made me on a daily basis think "Have I read my bible?" which made me think of God daily. During the year of 2010 I grew in my relationship with God, which was helping my marriage quite a bit.

Everything changed however in October 2010. My (then) husband left for a school in Virginia, and this time, instead of me, Satan grabbed him. February 2011, my marriage had officially dissolved. And this shook my faith momentarily. I had promised God that I would hang on tight to His word. His promise to me. And from February - July 2011 God and Satan had a tug of war with my soul. I had grown so much in my faith in the past two years that I knew what was right and wrong. But Satan wasn't going to let me go without a fight. He put all the same temptations in my path as was there before. He knew my weaknesses better than me, and he exploited them. Thankfully though I was still close enough to God and His word that I was unable to stray to the degree that I had before.

I praise God for the year of 2010. It was one of the hardest year's ever. It had many many downs but God used this time to prepare me for what was to come. He brought me close enough to Him that I couldn't live without His presence. He never left my side. He gave me a desire for His word so I could hide it in my heart and never be without it.

When I started to stray, he placed the right people in my path to gently remind me of His love. When I looked to men for comfort and love instead of God, he put Charlie right there to catch me. It could have been so many other people that could have hurt me, but instead it was a man that wanted to love God as much I want to, a man who would love me deeply, tenderly and wholely. I praise God for orchstrating my life without me seeing it at the time.

 Since August 2011 Charlie and I have taken the time to read the bible everyday as a family (btw we were married on July 21, 2011 and only have missed 1 or 2 days of our entire marriage). We both see (from our previous failures) that God being in the center of our lives is how we keep this marriage pure. It is so important to us we do not allow even a day of failure. Satan loves failure, and if we open that door for one day of missing reading the bible...then we will allow two days, and then where does it end.

Read your bible. It is a life changing task and it only takes a 10 minutes a day. I began by reading four chapters a day. And now a little more, but no more than 15-20 minutes a day. I spend longer than that on Facebook, or writing/reading blogs. It will be worth it, I promise you.

2 comments:

Ren said...

It is absolutely worth it! I'm working on a blog post right now about why it is so important to read the Word..

Thanks for writing this!

Unknown said...

I am so glad you are liking them Ren, I can't wait to read yours. :)